Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 15 Replies) Bookmarks aren't syncing with iCloud (Read 43197 times)
Gangee
Ex Member
Re: Bookmarks aren't syncing with iCloud
Reply #28 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Good morning Jerry,

On my iPad now, bookmarks are sorted.

Jerry. I told myself I'm not going to care about bookmarks, I'm not going to care about bookmarks.....

But Jerry.

Now I'm hooked.

You got me looking at logs.

And get this.

I actually read the help file for the first time. Ask anyone who knows me. If I'm reading the help file, I'm in deep.  Cheesy

Seriously. Thanks for the help. It's a great service, really appreciate the personal touch here.

Thanks man,

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #27 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 5:20am
Print Post  
paul@eagleranch.co wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 4:56am:
It's been about 10 minutes. How long does it take for BookMacster to sort the bookmarks? Does that happen automatically, or is there something I need to do now, to resort the bookmarks

10 minutes should be long enough and it should happen automatically if you have checked the first three boxes in Simple Agents like this:

If it didn't work, try unchecking and re-checking those 3 boxes, and then add a bookmark on your iPad again.

Since you're a technology guy, you can also look at BookMacster's Logs.  Launch BookMacster and in the menu click BookMacsterLogs.

If you added a bookmark in your iPad at, say, 21:00, then there should be a log entry about 21:01 saying "Staging job to run at 21:06" (5 minutes later.)  Then, there should be an entry at 21:06 saying something like "Invoked for Agnt 1, Trig 1 (Safari)…", and followed by entries indicating, import, sort, export and save.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #26 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 4:56am
Print Post  
Howdy Jerry,

I"m close.

So a few minutes ago, before my last post, I added a bookmark on my iPad. It's on all my devices. But. The bookmarks in the folder I added to are not sorted.

It's been about 10 minutes. How long does it take for BookMacster to sort the bookmarks? Does that happen automatically, or is there something I need to do now, to resort the bookmarks?

Thanks Jerry, really appreciate it.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #25 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 4:46am
Print Post  
paul@eagleranch.co wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 4:09am:
Like any obsessed, addicted fool, I can't give up on this.

At least you don't do it as a day job  Wink

I had to turn off/on Bookmark syncing on both in Settings, iCloud. When I turned it back on, my devices were synced.

Yes, turning iCloud OFF and then back ON may fix what I call wingless bookmarksWingless bookmarks cannot fly into iCloud.  They remain on one device only.  They are troublesome and if cannot be fixed should be deleted.

I modified my bookmarks in Safari. Now I'm waiting to see how long it takes before both are synced again.

If you mean how long it takes for the modifications to appear on your iPhone and iPad, note that this will be done immediately by Safari and iCloud, not BookMacster.  BookMacster becomes involved a few minutes later, for sorting (alphabetizing), finding duplicates, and syncing to other browsers like Chrome or Firefox.

I still don't understand if my Bookmarkshelf file needs to be open, for syncing to take place. Does it?

Automatic syncing does not depend on whether a Bookmarkshelf document is opened or not.  It depends on whether or not you have activated a BookMacster Agent.

So I'm still in the dark as to how syncing takes place. Is it done in the background?

Yes.  Similar to how Bookwatchdog worked in the background when Bookdog was quit, BookMacster Agents work in the background when BookMacster is quit. 

A sync is effectively an Import followed by an Export.  You can also import and export manually within the BookMacster application.

I have BookMacster set to "Open at Login".  Does that also open my Bookmarkshelf file?

We need to distinguish between two different things…

• In your System Preferences ▸ Users & Groups ▸ Login Items, you can add BookMacster as a Login Item.  This will launch BookMacster when you log in to your Mac.  There is no setting to do that in BookMacster.

• In your Bookmarkshelf document ▸ Settings ▸ Open/Save, you can switch on Automatically open this document when BookMacster launches.

Those are two different things.  If you do both of them, then the Bookmarkshelf will open when you log in.

Thanks! It's hard to use, but your replies are great.

We're constantly trying to make the app easier.  (You definitely would not have liked BookMacster 1.0!)  I try to make my replies concise and am happy you appreciate them.  But unfortunately some things are complicated and require quite a few words and time to digest.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #24 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 4:09am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry,

Like any obsessed, addicted fool, I can't give up on this.

I finally got my bookmarks to sync with both my iPad and my iPhone (iThis!).

I had to turn off/on Bookmark syncing on both in Settings, iCloud. When I turned it back on, my devices were synced.

I modified my bookmarks in Safari. Now I'm waiting to see how long it takes before both are synced again.

Question.
I still don't understand if my Bookmarkshelf file needs to be open, for syncing to take place. Does it? Or for syncing to happen, do I need to open my Bookmarkshelf file, then Export?

So I'm still in the dark as to how syncing takes place. Is it done in the background? I have BookMacster set to "Open at Login". Does that also open my Bookmarkshelf file?

Thanks! It's hard to use, but your replies are great.

Jerry,

I've got the bookmarks syncing now between my desktop, iPhone and iPad.

I'm still not sure as to how syncing works, I'll look around.

Thanks again,

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #23 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 3:44am
Print Post  
paul@eagleranch.co wrote on Dec 6th, 2011 at 12:42am:
A while back I installed Xmarks. I uninstalled it, or at least I thought I did. Could it be that it's fouling something up? I checked in Applications, it's not listed.

Well, honestly we have enough work to do with our own apps, and therefore have not done enough testing to confirm or deny that Xmarks is fouling up Safari bookmarks in iCloud and iOS devices.  That would be a topic for their forums.  However, if you'd like to disable Xmarks temporarily, the correct way is to do this:

• Click in the menu  ▸ System Preferences.
• In the bottom row, Other, click Xmarks for Safari.  If you don't see Xmarks for Safari, it's probably uninstalled but may be just uncontrolled; I'm not sure.
• Click the button Stop Xmarks.
• Switch off the Launch at login box.

To uninstall Xmarks permanently, re-download Xmarks for Safari from their site.  Inside the package you'll find an AppleScript named Uninstall Xmarks.  Double-click to run it.  You can also open it in AppleScript Editor to see what it does.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #22 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 2:37am
Print Post  
Phone number is 1-408-243-0675, although it's better to use Skype so I can show you my screen and stuff.  Skype name is jerrykrinock.

Practically though, send an email with a few time periods that you're available, your time zone, and I'll reply to confirm a time when I'll call you.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #21 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 1:13am
Print Post  
Hi Jerry,

I'm 52, been in the business since 1990. Technology is supposed to make my life better.

I originally bought Bookdog because it synced my book marks easily. You know, I just don't want to think that much about book marks. When I add a new one, I want it synced. Now with iCloud, I'd like to have my book marks synced on all my devices.

I dunno. I just can't get it to work for me. I'd love to, but once again, life is short -- spending this much time on book marks...I'd rather not do it.

If there's a phone number where I can call you, great. If not, I guess keep the money I gave you guys. But if I was you, I'd take a hard look at where you're going with this. Maybe young kids who have nothing more to do each day than dink with their computers are great customers. But that's not me. I got a family. After 20 or so years in the business, I'm looking forward to unplugging some.

Thanks,

IP Logged

Gangee
Ex Member
Reply #20 - Dec 6th, 2011 at 12:42am
Print Post  
I don't write code anymore, but I did for years. I'm starting to think this tool is above my pay grade. Man oh man, this thing is complicated. Man. Who are your customers? Rocket Scientists???

Anywhoo.

I downloaded the update. When I add a bookmark in Safari, nothing happens. Isn't it supposed to sync automatically? I've waited 10 minutes. The bookmark is in Safari, but it's not synced.

Note. A while back I installed Xmarks. I uninstalled it, or at least I thought I did. Could it be that it's fouling something up? I checked in Applications, it's not listed.

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #19 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Thank you, Stephen.

The beta test is now over.  Disregard the instructions in my previous message on how to get beta.  To get BookMacster 1.9, actually now 1.9.1, just download it from the usual link…

http://sheepsystems.com/bookmacster/BookMacster.zip

To update an existing installation, just launch BookMacster and click in the menu BookMacster ▸ Check for Update.

During the last few days, we tested a couple other bookmarks management and syncing apps and found that they will mess up your Safari bookmarks if you've enabled iCloud by making changes the old fashioned way, which is not recognized by iCloud.  For example, new bookmarks they insert will not be uploaded to iCloud, although they may appear if their parent folder is later modified in Safari's Show All Bookmarks.  Or they may be moved from the folder you put them, and instead end up in the BOOKMARKS in the left sidebar.  Sorry for being blunt, but I must say: Please turn the other guys off before you blame BookMacster.

Finally, one more reminder that if you are using BookMacster on multiple Macs, synced via Dropbox, make sure that you only enable iCloud Bookmarks syncing on one Mac.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Stephen Baishya
Reply #18 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
Working here so far.

Thanks Smiley

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Re: Bookmarks DO SYNC with iCloud NOW :)
Reply #17 - Nov 30th, 2011 at 6:40am
Print Post  
We just published BookMacster 1.9 (Beta).  Exports from BookMacster 1.9 to Safari are now pushed into iCloud by OS X Lion.  At least, it works for us!

Screenshots showing how to get BookMacster 1.9 are here:

http://www.sheepsystems.com/files/support_articles/bkmx-get-beta.html

We recommend starting with this basic test:

• Update to BookMacster 1.9.
• Click in the menu BookMacsterActive Agents.  If any Active Agents are found, click Edit and switch them off.
• In System Preferences ▸ iCloud, switch on Bookmarks.
• Look at your iOS device, other Mac, or whatever, and verify that your bookmarks are synced between Safari on your Mac and (Mobile) Safari.  (This is not BookMacster working, this is just iCloud.)  If you've just switched this on for the first time, it will take a several minutes.  The bookmarks go up and down one at a time; we've seen about 5 minutes per 1000 bookmarks.
• In BookMacster, click in the menu FileNew Bookmarkshelf document.  During the setup wizard, select Safari as a Client, and when asked if you want to import now click Do It.
• Add, delete, or modify a bookmark.
• Click in the menu BookmarkshelfExport.
• Sometime within the next few minutes, your bookmarks change should appear in Mobile Safari on your iOS device, other Mac, or whatever.

Everything else should work too.  For example, if you have a Bookmarkshelf with Safari, Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome and other Clients, and you activate the default (Simple) Agent to sync your bookmarks, then add a bookmark in, say, Firefox, it should show up in the other browsers on your Mac after about 7 minutes, and then a few minutes later in Mobile Safari on your iOS device.  And vice versa if you add a bookmark in Mobile Safari.

All of the old instructions still apply.  In particular, if you are using syncing multiple Macs with BookMacster via Dropbox, only activate iCloud Bookmarks syncing on one Mac.  Although iCloud seems to be more robust than MobileMe, multiple actors trying to sync the same devices should be expected to step on one another and wreak havoc.  It might work, but we haven't tried it because there is no need to do it.

Thanks to our testers.  We've got some rest now and are open for any bug reports.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2011 at 10:13pm by Jerry Krinock »  

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Stephen Baishya
Reply #16 - Nov 27th, 2011 at 9:54am
Print Post  
That's great news Jerry Smiley

IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #15 - Nov 25th, 2011 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
About 2 minutes ago, we successfully pushed our first bookmarks change, a renamed bookmark, up into iCloud.

It can be done.  Or as they say in the lab, we have a proof of concept.   Cheesy

Unfortunately, the way Apple chose to do this is going to require at least a few days' work, but it's in progress.  We'll post again here when the update is available.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Jerry Krinock
Admin
Reply #14 - Nov 22nd, 2011 at 6:37am
Print Post  
We've made a little progress with this.  BookMacster 1.8 (Beta) will "play nicer" with iCloud, that is, it will no longer cause iCloud to generate extraneous folders in your root-level Safari bookmarks on iCloud-synced Devices. 

However, it still will not push new bookmarks to iCloud without a workaround which is ugly enough that I don't even want to describe it. 

We're still working on a concept to make it push properly.

Here's how to get BookMacster 1.8 (Beta):

http://www.sheepsystems.com/files/support_articles/bkmx-get-beta.html

I'll be back soon.

Jerry Krinock
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint